As a reformed vegan, I’m just as shocked at myself as my friends and family are that I’m now advocating for red meat + organs.
While it might sound kinda gross to many, organs were the OG delicacy for our ancestors, while muscle meats were considered sub-par.
Organ meats, especially liver + heart are the most nutrient dense foods on the planet and contain so many minerals and vitamins that many of us lack.
One of the biggest factors in healing my PCOS was starting to consume not only red meat, but also weekly beef liver. Once I started, I never looked back and now I vehemently advocate for regenerative agriculture and healthy meat.
So why are organ meats so amazing?
- Beef liver is high in Choline. Choline is essential in cell-signaling, liver health, nervous system health, DNA synthesis, and transport of fats. Choline need is increased during pregnancy. Liver + eggs are best sources.
- Organ meats are high in protein. Per 100 grams, organ meats contain about 20g of "complete protein", which contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- Liver + Heart are both high in CoQ10. CoenzymeQ10 provides energy to your cells, acts as an antioxidant, and is good for heart health.
- Organ meats are incredibly nutrient-dense. Organ meats provide adequate amounts of hard to obtain vitamins + minerals many are deficient in. Copper, selenium, folate, riboflavin, and B vitamins.
- Liver is rich in Retinol. Liver has the most bio-available form of Vitamin A. Beta-Carotene is another form which has to convert to retinol, but the process is inefficient. Vitamin A is essential for vision and immune health.
Sourcing can be a bit confusing so here are my top tips:
- Reach out to local ranchers! Farmer's markets are a great place to start. Look for regenerative farms that don't feed their animals grain. If regenerative isn't available, grass-fed + grass-finished is best.
- Check out Weston A Price Foundation and reach out to your local chapter to find out how to source the best meat.
- Force of Nature meats has ground beef available that is mixed with heart and liver, so it's not as noticeable.
- BuyRanchDirect is a great option that is shipped to your door!
- 1915 Farms is local to my home state of Texas and has incredible quality meat!
Have you tried organ meats? Do you sing their praises nonstop like I do? I wanna hear about it in the comments!